Saturday, November 26, 2011

Dumaluan Beach

My Mother and I went to Cebu to attend my brother's wedding and soon after that, I whisked her away and embarked to Tagbilaran City via Supercat. It has been a while since my mom and I had a vacation.. The ride in the fast ferry took almost two hours. Once we arrived at the port, we were greeted by our tour guide for our day tour (which I will talk about in another blog). After our long day of sightseeing, the rest of the week was spent by the beach.

The last stop of the tour was the historical blood compact statue which overlooks Panglao beach. The water was so inviting. Our tour guide arranged a shuttle for us to Alona beach. I was looking forward for a little rest and recreation,  and eager to take my 83 year old mother on a swim in the vast, warm blue sea.

Had our breakfast by the quiet sea. We woke up to a relaxing and serene view.



My brother advised me to stay in Dumaluan beach so off we went in a tricycle, a local mode of transportation and in fifteen minutes, we were in a more secluded area, away from all the tourists and merchants. My mom and I were lucky to get a cottage. I grabbed it and she jumped in a bed in the air-con room. She was tired from the day tour the day before. I ventured outside, took loads of photos and of course, basked in the sun and swam in the calming warm waters. This is the life.


The weather was overcast but the sun peeps every now and then. Just the way I like it.


I'm glad I took my brother's advice because I do prefer this beach than Alona. The sand was powdery and the stretch was long and wide. They have a lot of activities such as snorkeling, island hopping, dolphin watching, jet-skiing and such but we opted to just lay around the beach, play in the waters and talk with the locals and the staff. They were all friendly and very helpful.


By the next day, my mom finally got out of her cocoon feeling rested. To revive her more, I made her go in the ocean with me. We swam and waded the whole morning. I was so proud of her. She made friends with the other folks and even received a lot of compliments. They thought she was 20 years younger! She never fails to amaze me at times because of her strength and vivacity. I wish I'd be like her 30 years from now and I also hope she'd stay this way.

Mom showing off. 
taking a walk and breathing in clean air

You can walk 200 yards from shore and the water is still knee-deep. The water so clear you can see a school of guppies swimming and small fishes jumping.  So even if I leave my mom on her own in the waters, I know she's safe. The ocean was calm, warm and friendly.


1 comment: